Charlton, MA - On January 2, 2019, the Charlton Planning Board hosted a meeting pertaining to the recently proposed marijuana growth facility. Though the board took questions from the public at that time, they still decided to vote against the massive project.

The company, known as Valley Green Grow, recently proposed the idea of building a one million square foot industrial-sized marijuana grow facility. This project would be built on Old Worcester Road, right on the site of an old orchard not being used.

Valley Green Grow aims to be a state-of-the-art facility and a leader in the marijuana industry, especially when it comes to sustainability. Mike Rosen, Valley Green Grow’s business attorney, claims that the company wants to be in the playing field for the long run, they don’t plan to go anywhere any time soon. In addition, Rosen stated that the company feels as if they’ll be able to carry out their mission if they get this location and approval to operate on the land.

The proposed project would cost approximately $100 million, making it the biggest cannabis cultivation plant in the United States.

Some of the reasons as to why the opponents rejected the original proposal are as follows:

-          The plant would be close to schools and neighborhoods

-          The plant could cause a severe traffic build-up

One specific man living in Charlton, Charles Legacy, came forward to speak about the proposal. He had stated that if the proposal were to go through, that would make the plant nearly in his backyard. In other words, Legacy knew that if the votes came in as a “yes,” he would have to deal with the smell of marijuana every day, along with the traffic congestion. With that being said, it’s safe to say that Legacy was not on board with the whole marijuana plant project. He’s not the only neighbor that feels that way, either.

Another meeting is scheduled for later in the month. Valley Green Grow will then come up with another proposal. If they do happen to get passed the Charlton Planning Board, the next steps will be to obtain a license from the state and the Cannabis Control Commission.