#Local Boston News
2 min read

MGH Surgeon Arraigned for Drunk Driving, Hit-and-Run

MGH Surgeon Arraigned for Drunk Driving, Hit-and-Run

Boston, MA– A surgeon employed at Massachusetts General Hospital was arrested after a hit-and-run while driving drunk this past weekend when he struck three people walking in a crosswalk on Friday night. Michael Watkins, chief of vascular surgery at MGH and associate professor of surgery at Harvard Medical School, was arraigned in Boston Municipal Court yesterday afternoon; he was released on $1500 cash bail after the hearing.

On Friday night, May 10, 2019, Michael Watkins, age 64, was driving while intoxicated when he hit three people at the intersection of Columbus Avenue and Clarendon Street in Boston. Prosecutors stated that the two women and one man were hit, taken to the hospital, and assessed for injuries. All injuries were minor.

According to WCVB, Watkins claimed he had honked at the pedestrians to get out of the way. When they didn’t move, Watkins continued to drive and struck them with his vehicle. He drove away, but was later found and arrested close to the scene of the accident on Tremont Street, in the South End of Boston.

When the arresting officers arrived on the scene, they reported that Watkins’ breath smelt of alcohol. Watkins claimed only to have “3 glasses of Dewar’s on the rocks” that night. When his blood alcohol level was tested, the results came in at 0.11%, with the legal limit being 0.08%.

Since the incident, Watkins’ license has been suspended under the Immediate Threat Act. He has been ordered to have no contact with the victims and is asked to stay drug and alcohol-free.

In court yesterday, Watkins was charged with three counts of assault and battery by means of a dangerous weapon, three counts of leaving the scene with personal injury, and operating under the influence.

On Wednesday morning, a spokeswoman from Massachusetts General Hospital told reporters that Watkins is “currently on leave from his hospital responsibilities.” He is scheduled to return to court on July 30 for sentencing.

The victims at the scene of the accident have not made comment to the press or reporters. Information and statements from the court case yesterday have not been released.