Lawrence, MA - In an update to yesterday's massive fire which allegedly is the result of gas leaks and explosions in Lawrence, Andover, and North Andover, officials have said that the count of damaged structures has gone from about 39 homes that we reported last night to as many as 70 today.
Fire fighters are working tirelessly to stop the spread of devastation that is now reaching homes not previously thought to be in danger.
Governor Charlie Baker spoke today, stating, "Utility technicians must do their jobs in order to make sure everyone has a safe place to return to." He went on to say, "This will not be an easy process and we ask for continued patience."
Michael B. Mansfield, the Chief of Andover Fire Rescue said to reporters, "This has been an overwhelming event ... I have been in the fire service for almost 39 years and I have never seen anything like this in my entire career ... It looked like Armageddon, it really did."
Now Because of Planned Power Shut Down in Lawrence, Massachusetts, The Mayor is Asking ALL Residents of South Lawrence to Evacuate Their Homes Immediately.— ~Marietta️ (@MariettaPosts) September 14, 2018
70 to 100 Homes Had Gas Explosions This Evening.
Shelters Are Now Being Set Up. #LawrenceFires ?pic.twitter.com/KsoxnMzj9I