HINGHAM - A Hingham man barricaded himself in his home on Saturday in a standoff that lasted several hours. The man has since been identified as 37-year-old Pharaoh L. Yahtues.

Hingham Police were called to the apartment building located near the Hingham Shipyard at 6:19 a.m to investigate a domestic disturbance.

After arriving, Yahtues, a resident of Hingham, would not come out of his apartment, involving police in a three-hour standoff while they tried to negotiate with the suspect who threatened to shoot officers through the walls. Yahtues also reportedly made reference to "suicide by cop” during the stand-off.

SWAT and local police evacuated the area for safety, knocking on doors and securing residents.

"It was calamity," Kelli Johnson, a neighbor who lives in the area, told Masslive. "I was evacuated by the SWAT team and was holed up in the clubhouse for a while, and now they're letting us get out.”

Not only were neighbors worried and uprooted but those with loved ones living in the area were on edge during the incident.

"We found out that there was a shooting, or shooter, and of course that's really nerve-wracking when you hear that,” shared Rick Allen, a Hingham resident whose son and daughter-in-law live nearby.

At one point during the incident, the suspect shot at SWAT and their vehicle. Yahtues also threw an explosive device from the third-floor apartment that did not detonate before eventually surrendering. He was then taken into custody without any further incident. No-one was said to be injured in the stand-off.

Following the standoff, Hingham police found a semi-automatic handgun hidden in the ceiling vent of Yahtues' apartment.

Yahtues is being charged with armed assault to murder, discharging a firearm within 500 feet of a building, discharging an explosive, possession of a firearm without a license (second offense), possessing ammunition without an FID card, disturbing the peace, as well as possession of a theft detection removal device.

He is currently being held without bail and is scheduled to be arraigned on Monday.

Image via Wikimedia Commons