Earth Day Events: April 17-27, 2019
Boston, MA– Monday April 22nd is Earth Day, the global event where people gather outside to listen to live music and highlight efforts to reduce, reuse, and recycle. The third “R” may no longer be relevant, however, since we recently learned that over 90% of the plastic ever made has ended up in the oceans or in landfills, despite our middling recycling efforts. Our best bet now may be to just consume less plastic in the first place.
But are people actually willing to sacrifice convenience and affordability for environmentally friendly products? Forbes cites data by Nielsen that over two-thirds of global customers say that they would pay more for products that are sustainably sourced and packaged. Whether that holds true at the grocery store is another matter.
Last year, the theme of Earth Day was “End Plastic Pollution”. The theme of Earth Day 2019 is “Protect Our Species.” Research suggests that we are experiencing a period of extinction unlike anything in the last 60 million years. As the Earth Day organization states: “Normally, between one and five species will go extinct annually. However, scientists estimate that we are now losing species at 1,000 to 10,000 times the normal rate, with multiple extinctions daily.”
Anyway, while the situation may seem dire given the levels of plastic pollution, the loss of species, and the climate warnings from 99% of scientists, it’s not too late to take action. In a drastic shift in mood, here are some fun Earth Day events in support of sustainability.
Wednesday April 17
Thursday April 18 & Monday April 22
- Earth day festival at Boston University featuring local green vendors
Friday April 19
- Earth Day at the Ecotarium in Worcester with nature exhibits for little kids
Saturday April 27
- Musketaquid: Concord parade & festival featuring live music
- Park Serve Day: Help clean up state parks, trails, and coastlines
- Earth Day Charles River Cleanup: Help beautify the banks of the Charles River
- MassAudubon’s Statewide Volunteer Day: A variety of beautification and cleanup projects with something for volunteers of all ages
Earth Week is April 17 - 27, 2019. Earth Day is Monday April 22.