Boston, MA - The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)  has recently warned all Americans to not eat romaine lettuce. The notice was sent out as an alert on Tuesday, November 20, 2018, due to the high possibility that the lettuce is contaminated with E. coli.

There have been 32 cases reported regarding the romaine lettuce being contaminated with E. coli, 13 of which landed the sick persons in the hospital. According to the CDC, 11 states are of concern with this matter. One specific person was hospitalized due to the development of hemolytic uremic syndrome, a condition that can become life-threatening due to kidney failure. No deaths are yet to be reported.

Massachusetts is one of the 11 states involved in this infectious spread. Two Massachusetts residents have became ill through eating romaine lettuce thus far.

Even Canada has been affected by this matter. The Public Health Department of Canada has come forward to state that 18 of their residents, living in Ontario and Quebec, have experienced ill-like symptoms due to the E. coli present in some of the romaine lettuce being sold in supermarkets.

If you have romaine lettuce at home, the CDC asks you to throw it away, even if you have eaten some and have not gotten sick. This suggestion includes every type of romaine lettuce, including, but not limited to, whole heads and/or hearts of romaine and bags and/or boxes of prepackaged lettuce and salad mixes that contain romaine. Such bags and/or boxes include baby romaine, spring mix, and Caesar salads.

The CDC warns that this is encouraged throughout every brand, as the common grower, supplier, and distributer has yet to be identified. Retailers and restaurant owners are also encouraged to not serve or sell any until the outbreak is contained.

Some common symptoms to look out for if you think you’re sick with E. coli are as follows:

-          Bloody diarrhea

-          Fever

-          Abdominal cramps

-          Nausea and vomiting

Symptoms usually occur approximately three to four days after consuming the bacteria and can potentially be life-threatening in minimal cases.