#Local Boston News
1 min read

Carbon Monoxide Exposure Leads Emergency Officials to Sawtell Ave., Brockton

Carbon Monoxide Exposure Leads Emergency Officials to Sawtell Ave., Brockton

Brockton, MA - Four people were taken to the Good Samaritan Medical Center in Brockton, Massachusetts, after potential exposure to unsafe levels of carbon monoxide posed a threat to Sawtell Avenue.

Fire officials have finally confirmed that carbon monoxide poisoning was the diagnosis of the incident that happened earlier Wednesday morning. The Brockton Fire Department responded to a call a little after 9:30 a.m., to where the caller stated that there was a possible carbon monoxide issue. The department responded by sending Engine 7 to the location of the incident, 213 Sawtell Avenue.

The caller stayed on the line with emergency personnel and stated that three people vomiting outside. Also, the three people involved were reportedly experiencing a constant dizzy side effect. After the dispatcher heard this information, three ambulances went to the scene. Fire officials were already at the location when the ambulances arrived.

When the firefighters scoped out the house, they found that the initial reading of carbon monoxide totaled in at 900 parts per million. If the people living in the home had been present for two to three hours, they could have very well possibly died from the exposure. The department then tried to get the situation under control and tested the levels again a little after 10:15 a.m. The reading that came in at this time was 72 parts per million, a drastic drop in points.

According to officials, severe health effects are likely to occur if a person is exposed to high levels or long-term carbon monoxide. According to research, effects can happen with 10 to 24 parts per million reading.

Once the situation was contained, and the people were out of the building, the four people that were present for the high readings of carbon monoxide were taken to the local hospital for treatment. According to Deputy Fire Chief Joseph Marchetti, the four people appear to be alright.

Columbia Gas responded after the incident was reported and they are currently investigating the exact cause. According to fire officials, the building that the people were in was under construction, with no carbon monoxide detectors present on site.